Monday, March 29, 2010

Five Days Til Denver

It's hard for me to believe but Tom and I will be living in Denver in just five short days. I am so excited, definitely stressed and feeling a little nostalgic.

Tom and I rented a U-Haul van two weekends ago to bring all my stuff down to his apartment in Philly, then movers came on Friday to pack up our stuff and transport it to Denver. Everything should be there between March 31st and April 9th - I'm hoping it arrives on the early side because I've been living in an empty room and out of a suitcase for 15 days (who's counting?) , but since the movers get paid per day I think we'll be sleeping on an aero bed for at least a few nights.

The past two weekends have included a lot of goodbyes, which aren't easy and I'm not particularly good at. Last Saturday we got together with Tom's buddies at, of course, the Pour House and it was a great night that reinforced to me that Tom has a very solid group of friends. Since my friends in California are scattered all over the place and comprised of different people from college and work, it's nice to hang out in a cohesive group of Tom's college buddies who have a long history together and know how to have a good time. Plus, the guys all have great girlfriends, wives and lady-friends who I really enjoy. I am going to miss thePour House, Dugal, Manzi and the whole bunch, but I know that we will be back in the Bean sooner rather than later and it will be just like we never left.

This past Saturday we spent time with Tom's family, which was a great time, as usual. We started off with a visit to his gram, who lives in Medfield and reminds me so much of my gram that I got a little choked up over it when we left her house. She is such a sweet, tough and funny lady - she had us all laughing with stories about her neighbors' antics, which even included a little bed-hopping amongst the residents in her assisted living community! That evening we went to dinner with Tom's parents, his sister and their very good family friends, and it was filled with lots of food, wine and excellent company. Tom's family has really embraced me and made me feel like one of their own. I'm going to miss them and can't wait for them to come visit us.

Tomorrow night I'm visiting with my cousin and his new baby to talk about the baby's upcoming christening because I'm going to be the godmother! Is it terrifying to anyone else besides myself that I am acquiring a title with the word "mother" in it? :) Truthfully, I am so honored that he asked me to do this for him and I plan on being the best godmommy that I can be!

My last day of work is Wednesday, which will mean more goodbyes. I'm staying strong, though, and sticking with "See ya soon!"

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing I had a little liquid in me on Sat. to take the edge off or I would have been a blubbering mess. You've seen that debacle before. :)

    ReplyDelete