I regret not creating a blog to chronicle my move from the OC to Boston, especially since the cross-country jaunt my father and I took in my tiny 2008 Scion TC provided enough fodder for a blog itself. But back in November 2006, I was burned out on writing thanks to my magazine jobs - and I was secretly scared of what the future held for me as I made my way East. I didn't want to put my experiences into words because, well, what if nothing worked out?
Fast-forward two+ years, and I'm ready to embark on another adventure that's going to take me more than half-way back to where I started. Although this time I won't be going it alone, and instead of being scared I'm giddy with excitement and certain that the future holds something great. I'll stop myself from getting too mushy and sentimental about Tom and our relationship, but suffice it to say that I believe I came to Boston for a reason - and that reason was to meet him. We've been through a lot this past year, but it's all been worth it and we are ready to take on this new challenge in our lives. And we both know it will all work out because we are doing it together.
Anywhoo...
Tom and I like to be prepped and prepared. We don't leave things to chance. We are planners. So, of course, we've purchased multiple guidebooks on Colorado and Denver (shout-out to Auntie Lois who got the ball rolling by gifting us with a great Denver book and a precious map that is already well-worn after only one trip to the city). The guidebooks are already all highlighted and dog-eared, and I can tell you which one has the best restaurant listings (Fodors) and which one has the best breakdown of neighborhoods (Frommers). One thing every guidebook has in common though is mention of a common malady that befalls Denver visitors - altitude sickness.
Denver is 5,280 miles above sea level (Mile High City, obviously) and we read multiple warnings about how the altitude plays tricks with the body by making it tired, out of breath, head-achey, tummy-achey, drunker than usual, listless and lazy. Personally, I wasn't buying it, but Tom was a little more worried. There might have been a conversation where I called him a "baby," and, well, that didn't go over too well. (He's not a baby - just sometimes more prone to illness, especially when he's being pre-conditioned to think there might be something to feel sick over.)
Luckily, neither of us felt any severe side-effects from spending a weekend a mile above ground, but I couldn't help thinking to myself that "the altitude" is a great excuse for a few key issues in life...
Got too drunk last night? Blame it on the altitude!
Feel too hung over from last night? Blame it on the altitude!
Don't feel like exercising today? Blame it on the altitude!
Out of breath after walking up a flight of stairs? Blame it on the altitude!
Don't feel like doing anything except for sitting on the couch? Blame it on the altitude!
Yep, altitude sickness gives you carte blanche to sit around all day and be drunk! Although (FYI) once you acclimate to the elevation in Denver, you're expected to start mountain biking, hiking, skiing, camping, rafting and being a general outdoorsman. But newbies like Tom and me... and all of you when you come to visit us... still have that perfect excuse, so don't forget to place blame squarely on the shoulders of the Mile High City!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Gee, could there be a LOW altitude effect in the Northeast we could blame for sitting on the couch all day?
ReplyDelete