It looks like April 1 is D-Day! I've been busy sloughing off my real work and diving into the apartment search because we are headed to Denver next weekend (March 5th - 7th) to find our new home. I'm frantically refreshing my Craigslist page every two minutes to see if new rentals come up, and I've already pissed off one realtor by contacting one of his colleagues about a property instead of just telling him I was interested. Sorry - I didn't know that you two work together, considering CL offers minimal realtor info and oftentimes only a blind e-mail contact. I just want to make sure we see as many places as possible when we're out there, and since I've spearheaded the apartment-hunt project, I feel responsible for ensuring that finding a place only requires one trip to Denver. FYI: last-minute plane tickets are expensive so book ahead when you come visit.
In addition to the apartment search, I also have knots in my stomach about giving notice at work and contacting my landlord. The landlord issue really isn't cause for much stress, but I still don't like telling people that I'm not finishing what I started (my lease). I know - totally crazy since I'm obligated to pay my rent through May, so it's not like I'm telling her that I'm skipping town never to be heard of again. Anyway, I need to compose that e-mail shortly and hope that I can help her find someone to take over my lease and live in my dungeon before I leave.
The real thing that's making my tummy hurt is giving notice because it's just so AWKWARD to deal with everyone after the bomb is dropped, and since I'm giving more than a month's notice, there will be plenty of time for awkwardness. The good thing is that I have a totally viable, understandable reason for leaving and I have good-will (for the most part) toward the company, so I don't have hard feelings and I don't think anyone will have any towards me. Well, except when they consider that they're losing one of the best they've ever had! :) Anyway, I'm prepared for a few painful encounters with some of the socially-awkward Red Cross folks I've come to know and love. As people hear through the grapevine what's going on and why I'm leaving, I'm sure I will perfect a canned response to, "So! You're moving to Denver!" Honestly, I can't wait to sail through March (although I actually have a few big work projects in the pipe for next month) and get on with our life!
Oh, and after the apartment hunt is over, the job search will begin in earnest... fingers crossed that it's quick and painless!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment