Monday, February 8, 2010

Rocky Mountain PoHo

On our first day exploring Denver, Tom and I stumbled upon something that really sealed the deal. As we wandered around a popular section of LoDo named Larimer Square, my sharp eye caught a sign in the distance that read, "The Pour House Pub." What a coincidence! What are the chances? Hey, we need to check this out for ourselves!

For those of you who aren't familiar with a friendly--if slightly dingy--Boston watering hole called the Pour House, it's a bar on Boylston where Tom and his friends are known by name, where the bartenders rarely charge them more than $15 for a night of drinking and where they've spent many-a-night blitzed beyond belief. If you asked Tom what he misses most about Boston, I'm sure he'd say me, but the Pour House would come in a very, very close second. It's Tom and his buddies' clubhouse, and, much to Tom's dismay, he was never able to find a comparable place in Philly.

As we walked into the Pour House Pub in Denver, we weren't sure what to expect. The few bars we had checked out already that day (don't worry - it was only one, for lunch) had lots of fun beers on tap, but the Pour House only had a small tap at the end of the bar with a few beers to choose from. I walked down to get a better look and realized that it was all Sam Adams and Guinness. Hmmmm. That didn't really register to me as being strange since every bar in Boston has Sam and Guinness on tap. We both ended up ordering bottled beers (who wants to drink Sam Adams in Denver?), and then we started looking around. The walls were filled with Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins memorabilia... and then it started to sink in. Tom asked the bartender, "Hey, is this a Boston bar?" Yep, of course it is! The owners are Boston transplants and former PoHo regulars who decided to bring their favorite bar with them to Denver!

I'm not sure if our bartender was from Boston, but he had that chubby, ruddy-faced look of Boston bartenders, and he was very friendly. Tom and I sat and chatted with him for a bit about how they play all the Boston sports games on TV there and the place will be crazy when the Red Sox come play the Rockies this baseball season. Apparently the owners of the Boston Pour House have visited their sister spot in Denver, and it's one of the few bars in Denver that serves Sam Adams on tap.

The Denver PoHo is shinier and newer than the Boston PoHo and it doesn't have as much personality - I sort of missed the bathroom stalls scrawled with graffiti and the way my feet stick to the ground of the Boston Pour House. But I think finding this bar was a sign to Tom and me that Denver is meant to be. I am sure that we will be spending plenty of time in the Denver Pour House, but nothing will ever replace the original!

No comments:

Post a Comment