Thursday, April 15, 2010

Denver Observations #1, #2 and #3

I've been noticing things about this new city...

#1: Perhaps it was my own preconceived notions about Denver, but I figured that this city would be overrun by vegetarians and those who only eat "organic," "raw," "macrobiotic," or (the absolutely worst diet on the planet) "vegan." Much to my relief, though, Denver is surprisingly carnivorous. Don't get me wrong - I love veggies, don't eat red meat on a very regular basis and I have no problem with vegetarians - but I was slightly concerned that there would be a surplus of overly-healthful restaurants and I would feel extra guilty indulging my fairly regular burger cravings. Turns out this place is overrun with places that serve great burgers, along with steakhouses, bbq joints and hot dog stands. Who knew? I guess the really granola-crunchy, veggie folks are hiding out in Boulder?

#2: There is no H&M or Ikea. Now, I am not a huge H&M fan, but it's a good place for shopping on the cheap and I've gotten a few cute shirts and dresses there in the past. As for Ikea, I'm definitely missing it. Tom and I decided that we were ready to move past Ikea furniture and invest in nicer, more durable pieces, but everything else at Ikea, including lighting, random decorations, kitchen stuff, photo frames, etc., is great, and, more importantly, cost effective! Boo. Bring Ikea - and, okay, H&M - to Denver!!

#3: Pedicures are like WHOA expensive. So it's flip-flop weather here in Denver and my hooves are hurting. This morning I researched some of the run-of-the-mill nail salons in the area and the average price for JUST a pedicure is between $37 and $50. I know I was spoiled in California where it's possible to get ones toes done for $20 including tip, and I got used to paying more when I was living in Boston, but the prices here in Denver are unbelievable. And this is horrible to say, but I think I can correlate Denver's low Asian population with the high cost of nail care in the city??

No comments:

Post a Comment